Winter visit to Iceland ...

I love snow and ice and usually manage to get to a beautiful winter location for photography once a year ... sadly this hasn't happened for the last three years or so owing to preparation work and then the launch of the current exhibitions - 'Living with PTSD' and 'Intimacy with Plants'.


This year I had to escape.  One of the reasons was that I'd been following reports about the Aurora Borealis this year - it was supposed to be one of the best viewing seasons for a while.  I wanted some different shots of the phenomenon  - different settings and backdrops etc, so I picked Iceland.

It's an expensive place to visit, so I opted for a group tour to get myself to the areas that I wanted to photograph.  Ten days of clean air, some snow and ice, night skies filled with more stars than I have ever seen before (even more than sleeping out in West Cork!), viewing glaciers, ice sculptures created by nature ... and the Aurora Borealis.


I'm still editing the shots as I've been busy since returning.  The main exhibition had to be hung the day after my return ... but I thought I'd better post a couple of preview shots up.  I'll add posts as and when the final sets are posted onto the website.

If you haven't gone to Iceland - try it in the winter.  You won't be sorry.  Just dress properly for the climate and be sensible about what you do.  Think carefully about the different sorts of equipment you may need.



Imagine what it would be like to walk in an Ice Cave at the mouth of Europe's largest glacier, knowing that the ice above your head is over a thousand years old.  It's awe inspiring to say the least and the colours are beautiful.  I would have liked to have gone further up the little river of melt water to have explored further ... perhaps that's a visit for another time now that I know the lay of the land - so to speak.

Enjoy the change of season ... wishing you a happy spring Season.

Villayat 'Wolf' Sunkmanitu



Popular Posts